Thursday, August 21, 2008

Milford Sound

like Paul said, standards change. so when we found out there was less than a certainty of rain, we hoofed it up to milford sound for the infamous cruise. I mean you've probly never heard of it, but it's infamous here. This is the iconic picture,
That was off the net. our weather provided a slightly different backdrop, but it was still cool to be cruising between the massive peaks.
There were some dolphins near the mouth who apparently like to hitch a ride on the push-wave at the front of the boat. also, I made up 'push-wave', I don't know what it's called.
back up the sound and a little more wildlife.
We also saw an extremely rare penguin but he was too far away to capture on film. I know, I'd be jealous if I were you too.

This is the waterfall seen from a distance in photo number trois. nothing insane but we had to have a waterfall pic, we've got quotas too you know.
The clouds began to part as the cruise was wrapping up so we took some pics just to prove it can be sunny in new zealand.
on the road back.
The hollyford track, hike the first, started near milford sound so we set up camp at a look out point. That's also the valley we hiked down to start the hollyford.
That night a flightless parrot took an interest in my towel drying on side of the van. Being an endangered species and thus protected they've gained quite the balls around us humans. unfortunately my sleepbag and the EPA were restricting my retrieval of the towel.
The next morning brought a glorious sunrise to sound off the start of the trek. The only thing missing was accompanying orchestra music.

No comments: