Friday, September 19, 2008

Beach Comber Island, Fiji

Bula everyone (hello in Fijian). Been a while since the last post. Since we last wrote Mark and I have both been back home for a couple weeks, working hard at finding jobs. Before I went home I had 10 days in Fiji. At the time we booked our flights home, I considered just transferring through Fiji, not spending any time there. Thankfully I decided against it, because it turned out to be a highlight of the trip for me.

I arrived in the afternoon, having absolutely no plan, just a hostel I was going to which is didn't know anything about. Things started going well when I arrived at the hostel, which was essentially a resort which had 1 dorm room. It said 4 bed en suite, but was actually a 32 bed dorm with dividers in between every 4 bunks. Ayy, what can you do. I really wasn't too fussed because the places was packed with people, had a pool, a bar, and was on the beach. No complaints.

While I was checking in a met 3 cool Irish guys and a couple Scottish girls who were all heading out to the islands on a package deal. I checked with the travel agent there, and figured out I could do the same thing myself for cheaper and just tag along....done! So I headed out to Beach Comber Island the next day. It's known as the party island in Fiji (which for the most part is pretty low key), and a few people I'd met along the way had recommended at least spending 1 night there....kind of like going to Thailand and not going to a full party. Not quite the same, but still a great time.
The island was really small, you could walk around it in about 10 minutes. Just beach, bar, and 114 person dorm. Needless to say, you don't come here to catch up on sleep.

Aiden, James, Ahmet, Candace and Elenor. Good crew


Everywhere you go, they greet you and see you off with a song...quite nice really.

More fun in the sun. Not a lot to do here but booze and lay in the sun. Damn...tough way to end off the trip.

No comments: