Saturday, July 26, 2008

Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane

Well these are three cities, and most of you have been to cities, so the pics and tails of our ventures may not provide the usual entertainment, but god damn it I'll try.

MELBOURNE
It's a pretty cool city, some call it the culture center of Australia. I would agree. Being a little cultural myself I tried to bring some class to the table...

Our hostel was in a neighbourhood called St. Kilda - kind of a big deal. Our first night there we were pooched from all our strenuous travelling, so we cruised St. Kilda and crashed. Second night the hostel bar was putting on a ladies night. I thought "you know who likes ladies, Behrang's ex-roommate Heath!". well actually he doesn't like them, and he prefers to go by Heathie. He came anyways though 'cuz he's a champ.

The following day was spent in recoup and wandering the local streets, trying to find direction and purpose.

Next night we opted for a bar hop around the city center. Some of our roommates came along.

I doooon't know...

Back to daytime. This time we wandered the banks of the river for some views of the city.

I picked up a new hat, it made me feel like a movie director. is it just me? ok, sorry, we don't have a lot to write about. Fraser Island's next, don't worry.
SYDNEY

My buddy Scotty from whistler lives in sydney. he put us up and showed us around. First Manly beach, then the fairy from Manly into sydney harbour.

Went out on "the piss" as they say, that's his bud Kade.
Paul interacting with the local wildlife.
Scotty bottom right. Stew far right. Stew had an interview the next day at 9. He decided the best prep would be to party 'til 5am. he's still waiting to hear back from them.

Next day we strolled the vista of Bondai beach. perfect waves for learning and here we were without our rashguards.

a quiet night and an early flight put us in brisbane by 1:00. We were crashing with paul's bud Saul from Leeds, who didn't get off work 'til 6:00. Storing our bags at the train station we set out to see the sights. For Brisbane this means a trip to queen st. - shops and restaurants - and south bank, home to a man-made pool with beach. Where Baywatch stars retire.
We had a couple bevies at a local bar that night. I was introduced to the australian trend of off-the-track betting in bars. Luckily wagers start at 50 cents. 4 bars, a few adrenaline rushes and multiple let-downs later, I'm $5 in the hole. Don't worry, I got a line on a winner that's gonna pay for this trip.

Saul and Paul. oh yeah, paul cut his hair.


No comments: